5 Things to Know about Changing your Furnace Air Filter in Ripon, California
Whether you are in the heart of winter or preparing your furnace, it is important to consider switching out your furnace filter, particularly if you live in the Ripon / Central Valley areas.
Energy Star recommends a monthly change of the air filter, particularly during winter, when the furnace is at its greatest use. While a month may not be a necessity, it is suggested that more than 3 months may in fact, be too long a wait.
Changing the Furnace Filter is Important for These Reasons
- Air Quailty: Providing the best possible air quality for the home requires routine replacement of the furnace filter. If you have family or friends who have allergies or asthma, changing the filter may provide much needed relief from the symptoms allergies and asthma may cause. Pets are also an important reason to change filters with regular frequency. The pet dander may build up and spread allergens throughout the house. Besides, replacing the air filter is a pretty simple job task that may have profound benefits.
- Extended Lifespan: The lifespan of your furnace may be extended by the simple task of routinely changing the filter. The most common issue for a furnace or air conditioner repairs is connected to a dirty filter. The dirty filter may cause your system to overheat or rapidly increase the likelihood of a repair.
- “Cleanliness is next to godliness”: When you regularly replace your filter, an affordable task, you are less likely to have a polluting and poorly functioning furnace, corresponding air flow and likely, fewer repair expenses.
- Reduced energy costs: A filter clogged and choked by the various dust, dander and other contaminants in the filter will cause the furnace to increase its output to ensure proper air flow and temperature of the home. Your bill can quickly escalate if the furnace has to “work” more, due to a clogged filter. A dirty filter restricts the ability of air to pass through the furnace; it could also overheat the furnace because of the exertion the furnace uses to cycle the air flow. The Department of Energy suggests that the average household spends $2,200 a year on energy. Routine filter replacement may provide savings of 5 – 15% on your energy costs.
- Confidence: Replacing your filter on a regular basis will likely give you confidence that your system will have a long lifespan, your air quality will be optimal and you won’t need to worry about repair.
Mehl Mechanical services all of the leading brands of furnaces. In addition to routine air filter replacement, a tune up may give your furnace the extra attention it deserves. Professionals may be able to determine potential issues before they happen. And in our experience, problems occur on the coldest days. Schedule an appointment with Mehl and one of our highly qualified service technicians will review and tune up your furnace; repair your furnace if needed. Mehl Mechanical services Ripon, California and the greater Central Valley.